Do any of you have personal experience with hip replacement surgery? Were there any home modifications you or the patient found especially helpful? Pain relief beyond meds?   I have the basic "what to expect" handouts, but would be grateful for any insights.  :)

5

Jann Nikka Profile
Jann Nikka answered

To Happy and Mr. Happy and Family.

KB Baldwin Profile
KB Baldwin answered

Close childhood  friend fell and broke her hip.  They replaced it and had her walking the same day. 

HappyTo BeHereTo
HappyTo BeHereTo commented
I've heard they want you to be moving. Thank you KB.
We're expecting this to be a quicker healing time than some of the other surgeries he's had.
Jaimie  JT Profile
Jaimie JT answered

I don't happy :) but I hope your husband has a speedy recovery and I'm sure you'll take awesome care of him :) my only advice is you two should lay off the 5 minute movies for about 48 hours ;)

Angela Anthony Profile
Angela Anthony answered

Happy, most hip replacements are a fairly quick recovery. That being said, it doesn't mean the recovery is easy! One thing I would suggest....for a short time, I would get some non slip things that go in the bottom of the tub, just for prevention purposes. Happy healing!

Didge Doo Profile
Didge Doo answered

Mrs Didge had a replacement 12 months ago. There were problems. It's not what you want to hear when you're facing surgery so I won't elaborate unless you really want me to.

The consensus about hip replacements is that the surgery is straight-forward and the recovery period fairly rapid, especially if your surgeon is up-to-date with the latest "keyhole" technique.

Modifications? Not a lot. We laid  a strip of clear plastic over the carpet so that she could make her way from living room to bathroom to bedroom more easily, using a walking frame. (After a couple of weeks she moved more easily and we were able to remove it.)

She also found a hand rail in our shower very reassuring although it had been placed there for me a couple of years before. (I make a habit of falling over.)

BTW if your shower is in a tub you will have trouble stepping over the side. If access is level with the floor you'll be fine. (In Oz your physiotherapist will discuss this before you leave hospital; it may be different in the US.)

Anonymous