Why Is The Roof Of My Mouth Itchy?


3 Answers

Cormac Reynolds Profile
Cormac Reynolds answered
You could be having an allergic reaction to something, or you could have a bacterial infection so if it persists you should see your doctor to get a detailed diagnosis.

Sometimes it’s difficult to determine what you might be allergic to because our bodies don’t react the first time we come into contact with something. This is because our immune systems have to develop sensitivity to the allergen before a reaction takes place.

Sensitisation is the recognition and memorising process that our immune systems go through in order to develop antibodies against allergens. The time it takes to become sensitised to an allergen can vary from days to years, with some people never developing beyond the sensitisation phase, so they have the symptoms but don’t develop a full blown allergy.

There are a variety of symptoms that can indicate an allergy, but typically they involve irritation and inflammation. Other symptoms might include: Sneezing, wheezing, pressure or pain high up in the nose, around the eyes and at the front of the head, a runny nose, coughing; hives, swelling, itchy eyes, ears, lips, throat and roof of the mouth (the palate); shortness of breath; and nausea, sickness and diarrhoea. 

These symptoms are not exclusive to allergic reactions, though, so if you have any of them it is wise to seek medical advice.

In very rare cases, an allergic reaction can lead to anaphylactic shock, which can be fatal so needs to be treated immediately. The symptoms can include any or all of the difficulty swallowing or speaking, difficulty breathing, a rash anywhere on the body, flushing and itching of the skin, stomach cramps, nausea or vomiting, a sudden feeling of weakness and even dizziness due to a fall in blood pressure, and collapse and unconsciousness.  Anaphylactic shock normally occurs within minutes of coming into contact with a particular allergen.
Amanda Wells Profile
Amanda Wells answered
If it only happens when you have a cold it is probably no problem. If it happens at any time, you may well have an allergy to something; if it mainly happens at night there are other possibilities such as acid reflux. If this keeps happening it would be a very good idea to see a doctor, as there are several things it could be.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
You might have bacterial infection in your mouth, so its better to go to see your doctor as soon as possible,
Good luck.

Answer Question