I Have A Dull Ache In My Right Side Just Below The Rib Cage , The Ache Radiates From The Right Front To The Middle Of My Back And Mostly On The Right Side, Have Had Upper And Lower Ct Scans And Several Chest X-rays That Show Nothing, What Could It Be?


17 Answers

Meg Hayes Profile
Meg Hayes answered
If, along with the symptoms you have described, you also find it difficult to breathe or laugh without experiencing pain, and suffer pain after elongated periods of sitting down, then it could be that you have a collapsed lung. If this is the case, you should see your doctor as soon as possible. If you regularly work out, the pain could be due to a pulled muscle, a fractured rib, or inflammation of the cartilage between your breastbone and your ribs.

However, the fact that nothing showed up on your chest x-rays would suggest that your problem is something else. Do you experience indigestion, gas, bloating, constipation, headaches, or find that your stools are a pale or chalky color? If so, then you could have a gallstone problem. Gallstones are hard lumps which form in the bladder when it is not functioning properly, and can cause severe pain until removed. To start the healing process you should go to your doctor and request a stomach and an ultrasound scan, which will pick up any abnormalities in your gall bladder. If your symptoms are more severe, you experience fever, bouts of pain occur due do deep inhalation, or can last up to 15 hours, then it could be that you have a gallbladder attack. If these symptoms sound like ones you are experiencing along with the ones described in your question, then you should seek medical attention immediately.

Your pain could also be due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Although this would have to be diagnosed by a doctor, attempts to eliminate the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome would include regulating sleep patterns, taking regular exercise, and including a higher amount of fiber in your diet. These changes would benefit anyone, not just those with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so you have nothing to lose by making these changes, especially if your symptoms reduce as a result.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
I have a bruising feeling pain when I press on on the right side of my rib cage in the middle, and its only when I press on it, other wise it dosnt hurt. And my gallbladder is fine the doc said. It started hurting a couple of months after I had my daughter
cocoroboto hasselhoff Profile
You could have pylonephritis which is a kidney infection normally caused as a result of a UTI or bladder infection. Symptoms of UTI are usually frequent urge to urinate with pain and sometimes blood in the urine. If the UTI has spread to your kidney, usually between 3-5 days from onset of symptoms, you will experience a constant dull low back pain just below ribcage. X-rays will not show pylo, but it can be easily detected with a urine sample. Your white blood cells will be elevated indicating infection. Treatment includes antibiotics and possibly IV fluids for dehydration. You must be treated for pylo as it will not go away on its own. If left untreated it could result in total kidney failure causing your blood to become toxic. See a doc immediately.
Terri Profile
Terri answered
I have the same type of pain on my left side.  It is very hard to decribe.  It is hard to pinpoint where the pain is comming from as it seems to be different from day to day,   It turned out to be a phamtom pain caused by a condition in my neck.   I have a bulgding disc and disc degenerative disease in my neck.  Treating my neck has relieved my dull nagging ache in my back.
Sharron Rasmussen Profile
I woke up one morning with this ache in my rib cage on my right side, about 3 weeks ago.  I first thought I had possibly twisted a muscle in my side that is stuck in my rib cage. The  pain also radiates int to my back.  I had my gallbladder removed about 20 years ago, and I had hep c treatment and no longer have hep c about 3 years ago. This ache is very annoying and it seems to be getting worse.  I'm having trouble sleeping at night.  I don't have any other symptoms.  I don't have any medical insurance and I don't know what to do please help me?
Diana H. Profile
Diana H. answered
I had similar symptoms and it was my galbladder.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
I have the exact same problem it is not kidney at tall it is not the lung because my airways are fine it will be down to gal bladder but mot probably just a muscle ache that has no explanation it usually occurs when you sit down
thanked the writer.
Anonymous commented
I have this excact pain, dull niggaling ache just under the right side of the ribs, i have had it for over six months now, and it is more persisistant when im sat down, i dont really notice it when im upright and active. Im going to get it checked out this week, and if i have any more info on it i will post it on the sight.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
My first thought is gall bladder. The gall bladder could be blocked or diseased. I think that it would hurt more if you reach up under the rib and press. People can go a long time with a diseased gall bladder without diagnosis, until they end up in the emergency room wailing and finally get taken seriously.

Next thought is gas. If you press downward on it and shift around a bit, maybe kind of jump up and down gently, can you belch? Or does a change of posture, such as lying down on your right side, give ease? That would suggest gas (or, rarely, partial intestinal blockage).

Next thought is pain in your liver. Do you drink alcohol? Do you have a "beer gut," which is really the liver swelling? Some people are sensitive to even small amounts of alcohol. Hepatitis is also possible. Both are easily fatal, and the latter is contagious, so if it doesn't resolve quickly one had better see a doctor.

Final thought is from my own experience: As a college kid I came down with mononucleosis in my liver! That pain was acute, though, not dull, and also brought nausea. After a week in the hospital, recovery was complete, with no lasting damage.
hannah williams Profile
hannah williams answered
It could be small round growths in your liver called pollups.pollups are small ulcer like warts that pop up in the colon as well. They can cause a pain similar to what you are experiencing.pollups come and go quite often but they can linger a long time if left untreated. The largest organ in your body is the liver and it's largest side is the right.if you were to experience pain of the live you then would experience it in the right side below the ribs and lungs. That would be my first hypothosis.
trish rens Profile
trish rens answered
Have you had any abdominal surgery? I have had the same type of pain and it was diagnosed as scar tissue that had adhered itself from the abdominal wall to the muscular tissue. This will not show up in any scans or xrays. Good Luck!
Paul Platz Profile
Paul Platz answered
Gall Bladder....certain foods will give you a flare up...stay away from high fat foods such as Nuts ( Almonds ) and greasy foods...will cause gas and heart burn also...hope this helps.
AleahMarie Profile
AleahMarie answered
Could you have pulled a muscle or sprained a rib, or something?

I've had 3 sprained ribs for almost 8 months now, and they're not healing because I don't have the time to sit in bed and rest. Nor could I stand it... ... ...

Yes, um, perhaps you should go to your doctor to find out what may be wrong.
jackie Profile
jackie answered
It could just be gas or it could be appendicitis. If it gets worse call your dr

Answer Question