Is there such a thing as a liver transplant? If so, why are there people living with cirrhosis of the liver? Also should a known alcoholic be allowed to have a transplant if there is such a thing?

Gene wright Profile
Gene wright answered
The liver can heal itself unless too much damage is done, then they need a transplant, from a live donor ( and only part of his liver is taken), or a dead donor.
My kidney transplant came from a dead 29yr old, I got one, guy down the hall got the other, it's been 7yrs and we both are still cranking.
John
John commented
What about a known alcoholics getting one
Gene wright
Gene wright commented
He gots the bread? Let him have it if it matches him at that time.
Arthur Wright Profile
Arthur Wright answered
Because healthy transplantable livers are like good hearts, extremely rare and there are more donees than donors out here and its supply and demand out here again
Arthur Wright
Arthur Wright commented
Not a good candidate to receive or donate so they usually lose out here as if they did, they would just destroy another one so good ones go to people who need and deserve it
Karen
Karen commented
I agree...good answer.....pure waste of time to give it to a drunk!!.......just will happen all over again....never known a case where the person STOPPED drinking to get a new liver. Ha
Arthur Wright
Arthur Wright commented
Exactly and thanks
Mandy Clark Profile
Mandy Clark answered
I agree. And yes, there are liver transplants but you have to have the same blood type as the donor or a universal blood type like O. And livers grow back anyways, so why should it matter?! :)
Mandy Clark
Mandy Clark commented
The way i said that sounds weird. If the donor is alive, they only give half their liver. You can't live without one! But the other half will grow back in both people eventually

Anonymous